Transfer Credits

Important Transfer Equivalency Spreadsheet Information:

Due to the ever-changing nature of college/university courses, and the conversion of many institutions from quarter hours to semester hours, the courses listed on the Transfer Equivalency Spreadsheet reflect course credit and equivalency as of the date it was added to the spreadsheet. It is the students' responsibility to check the current course information (course number, title, and credit awarded) of the institution they wish to attend to be sure the information on the spreadsheet is still accurate.

Credit will be awarded according to the transcript received, not the spreadsheet.

Michigan Transfer Agreement

Albion College is committed to helping students transition smoothly from the community college to Albion College. This commitment is demonstrated by our participation in the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA). The MTA was developed in an effort to simplify the transfer process for students, creating a core block of lower-level college coursework selected to satisfy a portion of general education at each of the state of Michigan's public institutions and participating private and tribal institutions.

pdfMichigan Transfer Agreement

Transfer of Credit Procedures

Any course not on the Transfer Equivalency Spreadsheet must be pre-approved to insure transfer credit will be awarded. Please use the Transfer Credit Approval Form.

pdfTransfer Credit Approval Form

Below are the guidelines and policies related to the transfer of credit to Albion College.

Only credits earned at an accredited institution, with comparable academic content and rigor, will be considered for transfer. The various departments of Albion College determine individual course equivalency and transferability as well as applicability towards majors and minors. When the coursework has been completed at an institution outside the United States, the institution must be an officially recognized tertiary institution.

Final recognition and posting of transfer courses on the transfer student's academic record will follow receipt of an "official transcript" sent directly from the previous institution(s) and upon the applicant's admission to Albion College. Transfer credit evaluations can be completed on your behalf prior to being admitted, but are unofficial and to be used for advising purposes only.

Course work assigned a passing grade equal to or above 2.00 (C or better) on a 4.00 scale may be recognized in transfer. Transfer credits are recorded with a grade of T and are not included in grade point average computations. Courses in which a grade of CR (credit) was earned are not transferrable.

Students transferring from two-year institutions such as community or junior college may present a maximum of 16.0 units of transfer towards their bachelor's degree. International students who have attended officially recognized and accredited tertiary institutions may receive transfer credit for work completed. Albion College residency requirement states that your final 12 units towards your degree must be completed at Albion College. Albion College courses are based on a unit system where 1.0 unit is equal to 4 semester hours or 6 quarter hours.

If the course or college is not listed, or if you are requesting approval of a course for mode, category, major, minor and/or concentration requirements, please use the Transfer Credit Approval Form. Print the form, complete it, and submit to the Registrar's Office. A syllabus of the course is often required.

High School Dual Enrollment and Middle/Early College Programs:  Albion College accepts transfer credit from dual enrollment programs and middle/early college programs provided the courses taken by the student meet the following conditions:

  • The course must be taken from an accredited institution.
  • Credit is only granted for transferable courses in which a grade of "C" (2.0) or better is earned.
  • Courses must be taken at the college or univeristy (online courses are accepted).
  • Courses must be similar in nature to the liberal arts coursework offered at Albion College.

Please note that transfer credit will not be granted in the following cases:

  • Internship, co-op, practicum, or life experience.
  • Grade of "Credit" or "Pass" - versus specific grade such as 2.0 or C - is earned.