Maintain Status

J-1 Requirements:

The U.S. Government, Department of Homeland Security, requires students with a J visa status to follow specific requirements while studying in the United States. Schools, including Albion College, provide advising and oversight to international students about the federal regulations and the SEVIS system.

J-1 exchange participants must report to Albion College by the scheduled orientation session, and participate in a required immigration "check-in" with the Center for International Education Director. Exchange visitors are at all times expected to maintain a valid DS-2019 and passport. Upon entry to the United States, the J-1 student will receive an electronic I-94 document, which should be checked and confirmed to state an authorized stay of "D/S." D/S stands for "duration of status" and refers to the program period listed at item 3 on Form DS-2019. The definition of J-1 "duration of status" is the period specified on Form DS-2019 "plus a period of 30 days for the purpose of travel."

J-1 exchange participants must engage in appropriate activities, and be employed only with authorization. Unauthorized employment is a violation of program status.

J-1 students are required to:

  • Report to the International Student Adviser at the school you are authorized to attend on your DS-2019 for validation in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
  • Follow Department of State (DOS), Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and university transfer procedures to attend a new school.
  • Not work, either on or off campus, unless specifically authorized on your DS-2019.
  • Always have a valid, unexpired passport, DS-2019, and I-94 card. A valid J-1 visa is not required to maintain J-1 status.
  • Obtain a new DS-2019 prior to starting a new academic program.
  • Notify the CIE of each change of Albion address within ten days of the move.
  • Leave the U.S. by the anticipated completion date on your DS-2019. If you must remain in the U.S. past your completion date, request an extension of your DS-2019 by the person who signed your DS-2019.
  • Abide by the J-1 grace period rules, including remaining in the U.S. for no longer than 30 days after completing a full course of study or a period of full-time Academic Training.
  • Pursue a full-course of study in your degree program every long semester unless approved for reduced enrollment by your International Student Adviser.
  • Make normal progress towards completing your course of study by completing your studies before the expiration of the program completion date on your DS-2019.
  • Maintain sufficient insurance coverage for you and your dependents for the full period of stay in the U.S.

If you have difficulty meeting the above requirements, contact Cristen Casey, who serves as Albion College's Alternate Responsible Officer.

Exchange Student Transcripts

There are a couple of ways you can request your "official" transcripts to be sent to your home university.  You can fill in the "Transcript Request" form, and return it to the Albion College Registrar in person, by fax to 517-629-0476, or by mail to Registrar's Office, Albion College, 611 E Porter St., Albion  MI  49224.  This results in a paper copy, and there is no charge.

You also can order your transcripts through the National Student Clearinghouse which is a secure on-line ordering service.  You have the option of having a paper copy sent or having them sent electronically (a .pdf file which usually goes out within 30 minutes).  There is a small fee of about $6.25 for electronic version and $5.25 for the paper ones.  If your University accepts them electronically they will be considered "official" if you have them sent directly to them.  The National Student Clearinghouse information is: