Graduating from Albion

Reminders to F-1 students, as you graduate from Albion.

  • Your I-20 program end date will be shortened to Albion's graduation date.  
  • F-1 students have a 60 day grace period after the graduation date. 
  • During the grace period, F-1 students may apply for OPT, request an I-20 for a new program, change status, or leave the US.  
  • F-1 students are not authorized to work after the program end date on the I-20, during the grace period.  This includes on-campus, or with CPT.

Transferring your SEVIS record to a new school:  If you will remain in the U.S. and will continue your studies after leaving Albion, F-1 students must follow transfer procedures to maintain immigration status.  For immigration purposes, this is called a "SEVIS transfer" whether you will continue your undergraduate program at another school, or move to a graduate program after graduation.

Steps to SEVIS transfer your F-1 record: 

  • Gain admission to a SEVIS-authorized school.
  • Check with the new school's international officer (DSO), and learn what is required to obtain a transfer-in I-20.  In some cases, they require a form to be signed by your current school's DSO- at Albion, this is the CIE Director, Cristen Casey. 
  • Submit the Request to Transfef Form and admission letter to the new school to .  Click here for the Transfer Release Form.    Indicate the date that you would like your SEVIS record to be transferred. 
  • On the transfer release date, your Albion record deactivates and all Albion College work authorizations end.  The new school now has access to your immigraiton records.  Note:  If your Albion College I-20 program end date expires before the transfer release date, your Albion College work authorizations end on that program end date.
  • Complete the new institution's requirements to obtain a new I-20.

If you are travelling internationally between the end of your last semester at Albion College and the first semester at your new school, you cannot re-enter the U.S. on your Albion College I-20.  You must obtain a Transfer-Pending I-20 from the new school and re-enter using that document.