Interdisciplinary Major in Social Studies with Elementary Certification
Requirements for Major
- 14 units including:
Anthropology and Sociology 248, 250
Economics and Management 101, 102
Geological Sciences 111
History 102, 111, 131, 132, 217, two 300-level history electives (at least one unit of elective must be from African, Asian or Latin American history)
Political Science 101, 235
- All courses for the major must be taken for a numerical grade.
- Completion of all other requirements for teacher certification.
Requirements for Elementary Certification
Students seeking elementary certification with a major in social studies are required to consult with the Education Department and meet admission requirements to the teacher education program (TEP). Certification in elementary education requires 32.5 units of course work and necessitates a ninth semester for student teaching.
- Complete a planned program including:
English 203 (English 101 is a prerequisite), 348
Psychology 251 (Psychology 101 is a prerequisite)
- Complete six units of professional sequence course work and four units of student teaching semester: Education 202, 203, 247, 259, 371, 372, 396, 421 and 431.
- All courses must be taken for a numerical grade.