Rachel Stander, '21
- Major: Biology with Secondary Education certification
- Minor: Psychology
Memberships and Organizations
Fritz Shurmur Center for Teacher Development, Prentiss M. Brown Honors Program, First-Year Experience Student Mentor, FURSCA, Kappa Delta Sorority (chapter vice president), Habitat for Humanity (chapter president), Ski and Snowboard Club, Albion College Mentoring Program, C.O.R.E., CPO Community Service coordinator
- Albion will challenge you.
- Whether it be in the classroom, in the lab, or in an organization, Albion has truly made me work hard for success, which I am entirely grateful for. If someone would've told my senior year high school self what I'd accomplish in two years at Albion College, I would've told them they're making it up. Albion has challenged me to try new things and take advantage of opportunities that you cannot receive anywhere else.
- Albion will inspire you.
- I truly credit all I've accomplished thus far at Albion College to the inspiration and support of my professors, peers, friends, and family. I can honestly say that I initially doubted every new opportunity I came across. I initially shot down the idea of applying to be an FYE mentor because I thought I didn't have what it took or that I couldn't afford the time commitment. But, after talking with fellow Albion College students and my professors, in particular, Dr. Vicki Baker about the opportunity, I knew that I had to give it a shot. I've doubted my abilities countless times, but it's Albion College's community who have inspired me to go the extra mile and try new experiences that are out of my comfort zone.
- Albion will prepare you.
- Albion College has prepared me in ways I didn't know were possible. The opportunity that Albion has provided me that has impacted me the most is the field placement aspect of being in the Fritz Shurmur Center for Teacher Development. With every education course I've taken for my secondary education concentration, I have been placed in either a middle or high school nearby. I've been able to teach lesson plans to students in subjects ranging from Algebra to Earth Science. My time spent in the classroom has improved my communication skills, problem-solving, planning, organizing, teamwork, and initiative. I've been able to take these traits from my classroom experience and apply them to other aspects of my life.