Donate a Horse
We consistently need sound, capable horses to teach our students on a daily basis. Horses should be discipline-appropriate with prior competition experience. Our program serves students of all experience levels, from the complete beginner through the most advanced and our horses are our most treasured teammates.
In order to ensure a good fit between donated horses and our needs, we ask that prospective horses be of the appropriate breed type and training level for our disciplines of dressage, hunt seat, western horsemanship, and reining.
We ask that donated horses meet the following qualifications:
- Hunt Seat – Thoroughbreds or warmbloods (registered); Quarter Horses accepted; USHJA and/or USEF competition record; capable of jumping equitation-type courses and good to ride on the flat
- Western – AQHA, APHA, or other stock horse breed (registered); competition record in horsemanship or NRHA reining record
- Dressage – Warmblood type preferred; USDF and/or FEI competition record; capable of performing Training, First, and/or Second Level tests or higher. FEI horses needing lower level work welcomed.
- Fill out a prospective horse donation application. (You may wish to save and print a copy for your records before submitting it.)
- Equestrian staff will review your application and contact you.
- We will request a video of your horse under saddle before accepting it into the program on a trial basis. (This helps to avoid unnecessary shipping costs or arrangements.)
- Horses acceptable for two-week trial period will be scheduled for arrival at the equestrian center.
- Upon arrival, donors must fill out a trial contract. At the end of the two-week trial period, if the horse is accepted, a pre-purchase exam will be performed.
- After the pre-purchase exam, you will be notified if your horse has been accepted into our program and formal donation paperwork will be sent to you.
Begin your donation
**If you submit a donation form and do not receive a response within 48 business hours, please email .**
Additional Paperwork Required
- A complete vaccination record of the horse, including Coggins test for the current year.
- Breed association registration papers signed over to Albion College, as well as any USEF, USDF, NRHA, or Horse I.D. numbers (where applicable).
- NRHA, USEF, USHJA, USDF, or FEI show record from the last season the horse was competed.
- For horses valued at $5,000 or greater, an appraisal is required. Owners whose horses require appraisal will be notified by our staff prior to their acceptance into our program.
Please complete and submit all paperwork before the horse arrives at the Held Center. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the director by phone at 517/629-0838 or via our online contact form.
If your horse becomes unsuitable for our program or requires a stepped-down home, you may request first right of refusal to repurchase* or retire the horse. If you no longer want him/her or are unable to care for the horse at that time, we will make every effort to find a new home with a reputable, humane facility that specializes in housing and caring for retired horses. If you have suggestions for where to place the horse, please share this information with us for review. The health, welfare and safety of our equine friends will always be paramount to us at Albion College.
*Please note that, due to tax laws related to the donation of horses, we cannot guarantee the free return of horses of a certain monetary value. A nominal re-purchase fee may be required.