Motor Pool - Cars And Minivans

Albion College motor pool vehicles are to be used strictly for College-related business and employees are encouraged to use these vehicles if available. The Vice President for Finance and Administration must approve any use other than for College-related business before vehicles may be scheduled.


Approval by your division VP is required for the use of vehicles (except as noted below). VPs may provide to Campus Services a roster of employees in their areas who have authorization to use vehicles on a regular basis without specific approval for each trip. The Residential Life director must approve requests for all Residential Life functions. The CPO director must approve all requests for student groups/organizations. Requests for First Year Experience must be approved by FYE/Registrar’s Office. Driving records of all drivers will be checked before they may use a vehicle and may be checked periodically in future years. Safety training recommended by our insurance carrier may also be required periodically.


Reservations can be made by calling or sending an e-mail to Laura Ward-McDowell in Campus Services. An E-form (four part form available through central stores) should be sent to Campus Services to complete the reservation. The following information is required when making a reservation: name of driver, date(s) and time vehicle is needed, type of vehicle needed, purpose of trip, destination, department to be charged (name and number), contact person (if other than driver, ex. department secretary) and his/her extension.


The charge for using a Motor Pool car or minivan is currently $.10/mile. Gas cards are not provided with Motor Pool vehicles; your department will also be responsible for gas purchased relative to your use. Please return vehicles with a full tank of gas.

Changes And Cancellations

Please notify Laura Ward-McDowell of any cancellations or changes in dates or numbers of vehicles needed so they can be managed appropriately.

Key Pick Up

Keys may be signed out by/for the driver Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. in the Facilities Building. Keys for weekend travel need to be signed out on Friday. Please make every effort to pick up keys before 4:30 p.m.. If that is not possible, please call 517/629-0260 so other arrangements can be made.

Vehicle Pick Up And Drop Off

Monday through Friday all vehicles will be ready by 9 a.m. on the day they are reserved. If you need the vehicle before 9 a.m., let us know as special arrangements will have to be made.

Motor Pool vehicles are parked in the west end of the Ferguson parking lot. Please return vehicles to this location. If you return after hours place the keys and the travel information (checklist) from your trip in the key drop box located next to the door to the Campus Services Office on the west end of the Facilities Operations building.

When you sign out the keys you will be given an envelope with a checklist. When you return a vehicle, completely fill out the check list as well as the travel log on the clipboard located inside of the vehicle. Remember to remove loose trash and personal items and to secure the vehicle. Trash may be deposited in the garbage can located next to the Campus Services Office. The College is not responsible for items left in vehicles. The checklist includes a section to report damage to the vehicle while in your possession (including vandalism). Also please note any mechanical concerns in the comment section. The envelope containing the completed checklist and keys should be placed in the drop box next to the Central Receiving door on the west end of the building. DO NOT leave keys in the vehicle.

Vehicles must be returned with a full tank of gas. The gas pump at the west end of the Facilities building is generally available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (the pump is not available on days when the College is closed, and may be locked at 3:30 if Laura is on vacation). Whenever possible, please use this pump to fill up; it is more cost effective for the College. Record the number of gallons on the "unleaded gas" log on the counter outside the Campus Services office and write your department name in the "department" space.

Emergency Numbers And Accident Procedures

This information is also in the glove box of every vehicle with the insurance information. If you have a motor pool emergency Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., dial: 517/629-0260, for Laura McDowell, if you get voice mail, hang up and dial 517/629-0230, for the Facilities Office.

After 5 p.m. and on weekends, dial 517/629-5610 for Campus Safety and let them know you have a motor pool emergency. They will contact the Facilities Supervisor on call. Make sure to give them your location, the nature of the problem, and a contact number where you can be reached.

In the event that a College vehicle is involved in an accident, the authorized driver is responsible to ensure that the steps listed below are taken:

  1. You must contact the appropriate law enforcement agency, so that a police report may be completed.
  2. You must contact Campus Safety at 517/629-5610 and advise the dispatcher of the accident.
    1. You must notify Campus Safety of any injured passengers and the name of the hospital to which they are being transported.
    2. In the event that the vehicle no longer drivable, Campus Safety will contact Facilities Operations to coordinate disposition of the vehicle, arrangement of alternate transportation and other necessary assistance for those on the trip as needed.
  3. You must, upon your return to campus, notify Campus Services and the Business Office of the accident, providing them with the date, location, and police report number for the incident. The insurance company will be contacted to file a claim if necessary.


If you incur expenses for minor maintenance or repair (ex. windshield wiper replacement), make sure to save your receipts so you can be reimbursed for these expenses and/or report them correctly on your P-Card.

Per the PET AND OTHER ANIMAL policy for Albion College, animals (exception for service animals) are not to be transported in motor pool vehicles.