Crime Report Form

This form is for the purpose of collecting data to determine the number of incidents occurring within the community in order to comply with federal law and develop appropriate resources.

Please complete the form below. Your name will be kept confidential unless the College is legally required to disclose it. However, a Campus Safety staff member may contact you after receiving this information if additional information is needed to properly classify the incident, or if there is an immediate threat to the health and safety of another person.

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input


Murder/Non-Negligent Manslaughter
The willful (non-negligent) killing of one human by another.
Negligent Manslaughter
The killing of another person through gross negligence.
The taking or attempting to take anything from value of the care, custody, or control of a person or persons by force or threat of force or violence and/or by putting the victim in fear.
Aggravated Assault
An unlawful attack by one person upon another for the purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily injury. This type of assault usually is accompanied by the use of a weapon or by means likely to produce death or great bodily harm. It is not necessary that injury result from an aggravated assault when a gun, knife or other weapon is used that could or probably would result in a serious potential injury if the crime were successfully completed.
"Penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim."
"The touching of the private body parts of another person for the purpose of sexual gratification, without the consent of the victim, including instances where the victim is incapable of giving consent because of his/her age or because of his/her temporary or permanent mental incapacity."
Sexual intercourse between persons who are related to each other within the degrees wherein marriage is prohibited by law.
Statutory Rape
Sexual intercourse with a person who is under the statutory age of consent.
Any willful or malicious burning or attempt to burn, with or without intent to defraud, a dwelling house, public building, motor vehicle or aircraft, personal property of another, etc.
The unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or a theft. For reporting purposes this definition includes: unlawful entry with intent to commit a larceny or a felony; breaking and entering with intent to commit a larceny; housebreaking; safecracking; and all attempts to commit any of the aforementioned.
Motor Vehicle Theft
The theft or attempted theft of a motor vehicle. Theft of any self-propelled vehicle that runs on land surface and not on rails, such as: sports utility vehicles, automobiles, trucks, buses, motorcycles, motor scooters, trail bikes, mopeds, all-terrain vehicles, self-propelled motor homes, snowmobiles, golf carts and motorized wheelchairs. (Classify as motor vehicle theft all cases where automobiles are taken by persons not having lawful access, even though the vehicles are later abandoned — including joy riding.)
Weapon Law Violations
The violation of laws or ordinances dealing with weapon offenses, regulatory in nature, such as: manufacture, sale or possession of deadly weapons; carrying deadly weapons, concealed or openly; furnishing deadly weapons to minors; aliens possessing deadly weapons; all attempts to commit any of the aforementioned.
Drug Abuse Violations
Violations of state and local laws relating to the unlawful possession, sale, use, growing, manufacturing, and making of narcotic drugs. The relevant substances include: opium or cocaine and their derivatives (morphine, heroin, codeine); marijuana; synthetic narcotics (Demerol, methadone); and dangerous non-narcotic drugs (barbiturates, Benzedrine).
Liquor Law Violations
The violation of laws or ordinance prohibiting the manufacture, sale, transporting, furnishing, possession of intoxicating liquor, maintaining unlawful drinking places; bootlegging; operating a still; furnishing liquor to minor or intemperate person; using a vehicle for illegal transportation of liquor; drinking on a train or public conveyance; all attempts to commit any of the aforementioned. (Drunkenness and driving under the influence are not included in this definition.)
Hate Crimes
A criminal offense committed against a person or property that is motivated, in whole or in part, by the offender's bias. Hate-specific crimes may include any of the above defined crimes or also:
The unlawful taking, carrying, leading, or riding away of property from the possession or constructive possession of another.
To willfully or maliciously destroy, injure, disfigure, or deface any public or private property, real or personal, without the consent of the owner or person having custody or control by cutting, tearing, breaking, marking, painting, drawing, covering with filth, or any other such means as may be specified by local law.
To unlawfully place another person in reasonable fear of bodily harm through the use of threatening words and/or other conduct, but without displaying a weapon or subjecting the victim to actual physical attack.
Simple Assault
An unlawful physical attack by one person upon another where neither the offender displays a weapon nor the victim suffers obvious severe or aggravated bodily injury involving apparent broken bones, loss of teeth, possible internal injury, severe laceration or loss of consciousness.
Dating Violence
Violence committed by a person who is or has been a in a social relationship of a romantic or intimate nature with the victim.
Domestic Violence
Felony or misdemeanor crimes of violence committed by a current or former spouse of the victim, a person whom the victim shares a child in common, a person who is cohabitating with or has cohabitated with the victim as a spouse or someone similarly situated to spouse.
Engaging in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to fear for his or her safety or the safety of others OR suffer substantial emotional distress.

Student Travel and 15 Passenger Van Usage Policy

I. Student Travel

A. Stipulations regarding class assignments, field trips, and other trips are explained in the Faculty Handbook:

Albion College recognizes that participation in extra-classroom activities such as class trips, departmental trips, club field trips, workshops, and intercollegiate athletics can be of benefit to the students and to the institution. However, Albion College also recognizes that classroom work is at the heart of the student’s progress in courses. Therefore, no College-sanctioned trip will be permitted that results in the absence of a student from classes for more than two consecutive class days without permission of the Provost. Furthermore, no intercollegiate athletic trip will be permitted to remove a student from classes for more than one class day, except by permission of the Provost. Saturdays rather than class days will be used for College-sponsored, extra-classroom activities whenever possible. Limited College transportation is available; inquiries should be directed to the Physical Plant Office and to the Office of Campus Programs and Organizations.

Students should inform their faculty members in advance of an upcoming class absence that is a result of participation in an official College event. Written notification of such absences is required, and must be distributed by the supervising College official. The student thereby merits the opportunity to make up assignments missed.

B. Non-College-sanctioned trips for extra-curricular activities should be planned on weekends instead of class days. Students traveling with groups in organizations that schedule trips while classes are in session are not automatically excused from classes. Each student on a trip may request prior approval from his/her faculty members to be excused from class and to be allowed to make up any missed assignments or work. This approval may or may not be granted.

II. Long Distance Travel

A. All organizations planning off-campus trips over 100 miles away are required to provide the information listed below to the Campus Safety Office before leaving campus.

  1. A detailed travel itinerary.
  2. Travel roster with emergency contacts.
  3. Signed activity statement of responsibility and release form for each person traveling.
    The necessary forms are available in the Office of Campus Programs and Organizations.

B. All individual participants must travel with proof of personal health insurance.

C. At least one person on the trip must have a cell phone available in the event of an emergency.

III. International Travel

A. The Student Affairs staff member, office, or student organization advisor must check with the U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory prior to organizing or scheduling student group international travel. If travel is restricted by the State Department, the Student Affairs staff member, office, or student organization adviser must check other appropriate country travel advisories, check “on-the-ground” contacts, and then consult with the vice president for student affairs for approval. Approval is subject to cancellation at a later date if travel is deemed inadvisable.

IV. 15 Passenger Van Usage

These policies apply to the use of all College vans, as well as all vehicles that are rented or leased from outside agencies to be used for College-related travel or activities. Individuals who operate College vehicles must also abide by the Driver Approval and Vehicle Usage Policy, which can be viewed here.

V. Van Driver Certification

All persons who intend to drive a van must first be approved by Campus Safety. Forms for the approval process are available at: The approval and training guidelines are explained in the Driver Approval and Vehicle Usage Policy referenced above. 

VI. Van Reservation and Return

A. Individuals or groups who wish to use a van for use should forward a request to Campus Services.

  1. Student groups that wish to use a van must complete the necessary paperwork as required by the CPO office.
  2. Vans may only be used for College-related activities.
  3. Vans may not be used for transportation to bars, taverns, or events that focus primarily on the consumption of alcohol.
    1. Van drivers may not consume alcohol within eight hours of operating a van.

B. Drivers will inspect the van for damage, and will complete the vehicle checklist prior to operating the van.

C. Upon return to campus, drivers will park the van in the Facilities Operations parking lot.

  1. The vehicle checklist will be completed by the driver, and will be placed with the van keys in the key return slot at Campus Services.

VII. Van Travel

A. If a group is traveling with luggage, then no more than twelve people (driver included) may be transported in a van.

  1. “Luggage” does not include backpacks, purses, or other small bags that may be used for day or other short trips.

B. Seatbelts shall be worn by the driver and all passengers at all times while the vehicle is in motion.

  1. It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure, prior to putting the vehicle in motion, that all passengers have their seatbelts properly fastened.

C. No driver may drive a van more than ten consecutive hours, or more than 12 hours in a 24-hour period. In addition, one passenger needs to stay awake to assist the driver.

  1. A driver who drives ten consecutive hours must have at least a four hour rest period before resuming driving of a van.

D. At least one person on the trip must have a cell phone available in the event of an emergency.

  1. Drivers are prohibited from using cell phones while they are operating vans.

VIII. Accident Procedure

A. In the event that a College van is involved in an accident, the driver is responsible for ensuring that the steps listed below are taken.

  1. Contact the appropriate law enforcement agency, so that a police report may be completed.
  2. Contact Campus Safety at 517/629-1234 and advise the dispatcher of the accident.
    1. Notify the dispatcher of injured passengers and the hospital to which they are being transported.
    2. In the event that the vehicle is not drivable, Campus Safety will contact Facilities Operations to coordinate the disposition of the vehicle, the arrangement of alternate transportation and other necessary assistance for those on the trip as needed.
  3. Upon return to campus, notify the Business Office of the accident, to include date, location, and police report number for the incident.

Emergency Telephones

Emergency Telephone Map

T—Indicates the location of a telephone line linked to Campus Safety. Boldface indicates a blue light telephone.

pdfDownload a printable version of this map

Emergency Telephone Locations

  1. 1. Briton House Apartments

    student residences
    T—Front exterior

  2. 2. Burns Street Apartments

    student residences
    T—North side (1220, 1224)
    T—South side (1222, 1226)

  3. 3. Cass Street Building/Campus Safety Office

    T—Open 24 hours

  4. 4. Dean Hall

    cooperative residence for women
    T—North exterior

  5. 5. Dow Recreation and Wellness Center

    T—Atrium desk
    T—East concourse, south of south fieldhouse doors

    1. Lomas Fieldhouse
      T—Equipment desk
    2. Dean Aquatic Center
  6. 6. Erie Apartments

    student residences
    T—Front foyer

  7. 7. Ferguson Student, Technology, and Administrative Services Building


  8. 8. Fiske Hall

    student residence
    T—South exterior

  9. 9. Fraternity area

    1. Alpha Tau Omega
      T—East exterior
    2. Delta Sigma Phi
      T—West exterior
    3. Delta Tau Delta
      T—West exterior
    4. Sigma Chi
      T—South exterior
    5. Sigma Nu
      T—West exterior
    6. Tau Kappa Epsilon
      T—North exterior
  10. 10. Goodrich Chapel

    T—Northeast exterior corner
    T—Lower lobby

  11. 11. Ingham Hall

    student residence
    T—Front foyer

  12. 12. Mae Harrison Karro Village

    T—All entrances
    T—Northwest entrance (center)

  13. 13. Kellogg Center/Dickie Hall

    T—West exterior
    T—Front desk

  1. 14. Kresge Gymnasium


  2. 15. Kresge Hall

    T—East entrance

  3. 16. Mitchell Towers

    student residence
    T—East exterior
    T—Center foyer/vestibule

  4. 17. Mudd Learning Center

    T—North exterior (by loading dock)

  5. 18. Munger Apartments

    T—North parking lot

  6. 19. Munger Annex, 405 N. Berrien,

    student residence
    T—East entrance

  7. 20. Olin Hall

    T—Second floor lobby by north stairwell

  8. 21. Palenske Hall

    T—East entrance

  9. 22. President’s Home

    501 E. Michigan Ave.

  10. 23. Robinson Hall

    T—East entrance
    T—West entrance

  11. 24. Seaton Hall

    student residence
    T—Center foyer/vestibule

  12. 25. Technical Services

    T—North exterior

  13. 26. Vulgamore Hall

    T—East entrance
    T—Kiosk near west entrance

  14. 27. Wesley Hall

    student residence
    T—South (main) entrance

  15. 28. Whitehouse Hall

    student residence
    T—West exterior

  16. 29. Farley Drive Lot (Lot 24)

    T—West entrance

Emergency telephones are located on each floor in Kresge Hall, and in the elevators in Putnam Hall and Baldwin Hall.

Emergency Alert System

Sign Up Now

Keeping Parents Informed

The Albion College Department of Campus Safety has arranged for parents to be included in our Blackboard Connect Emergency Alert system. The College has used Blackboard Connect for several years to notify members of our campus community when a hazardous or emergency situation is occurring on or near our campus. The College will now be able to utilize this system to provide pertinent information about such incidents in a more effective and timely manner.

How To Sign-Up

Register to receive messages at This system has been designed for you to input your contact information, and to update that information as needed. Establish a user name and password, after which you will be asked to provide the email address and telephone numbers through which you want to receive messages from the College.

Questions or Problems Signing Up?

Do not hesitate to contact Ken Snyder, Director of Campus Safety, if you have questions, concerns, or problems signing up. He can be reached by email at , or by calling (517) 629-0213.

**Please note that your contact information in this system will not be used to update information contained in College official records. The College will continue to use the information already contained in our official records when it is necessary to contact the parent(s) of a particular student about a specific issue. If you have questions about official records including how to update them, please contact the Student Affairs Office via .

More Articles ...