Course Requirements

Albion College physics professor Aaron Miller works with a student.
Albion College physics professor Aaron Miller works with a student.

To successfully complete the dual-degree program in engineering, with the intent to transfer to the two schools that are currently affiliated with Albion College (Columbia University and the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor), students must complete the engineering coursework requirements listed below. This is in addition to general academic requirements for all Albion College students—consult an adviser or the academic catalog for more information.

Core Coursework

Math Courses (4 units): MATH 141 (Calculus I), MATH 143 (Calculus II), MATH 245 (Multivariable Calculus), MATH 247 (Differential Equations & Linear Algebra)

Physics Courses (3 units): PHYS 167 (Analytical Physics I), PHYS 168 (Analytical Physics II), PHYS 243 (Mathematical Physics I), PHYS 244 (Mathematical Physics II)

Chemistry Courses (2 units): CHEM 152 (Principles of Chemistry), CHEM 214 (Inorganic Chemistry)

Computer Science Courses (1 unit): CS 171 (Introduction to Computer Science)

Other (2 units): English 101, Economics & Management 101 (Microeconomics)

Track-Specific Coursework

In addition to the above fundamental coursework required of all engineering students, select one of the following tracks:

General Engineering (3.25 units): PHYS 245, PHYS 250, MATH/PHYS 375, PHYS 191. Includes Mechanical, Civil, Aerospace, Marine, Materials, and Nuclear Engineering.

Biomedical Engineering (4.25 units): CHEM 154, MATH 309, MATH/PHYS 375, PHYS 250, PHYS 191

Chemical Engineering (3.25 units): CHEM 154, CHEM 212, PHYS 250, PHYS 191

Computer/Electrical Engineering (4.25 units): CS 173, MATH 239, PHYS 245, PHYS 250, MATH/CS 299 or PHYS 191

Environmental/Geo-Engineering (3.25-4.25 units): (BIOL 210 or CHEM 154 or PHYS 250), (GEOL 101 or GEOL 104 or GEOL 115), MATH/PHYS 375, PHYS 191

Industrial/Financial Engineering (5.25 units): CS 173, E&M 211, MATH/CS 299, MATH 309, MATH 326 or MATH 349 or MATH 360.

Important Notes

Advanced Placement: Transfer schools require that students that place into MATH 143 or higher without AP credit are still required to take all math classes on this list for a grade.

GPA Requirements: Students in this program need to maintain at least a 2.5 GPA (overall and in math, physics, computer science, and chemistry). Transfer school admission requirements vary. The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor GPA requirements range from 3.0 to 3.5 depending on major. Columbia University requires a 3.3 GPA. Other options, such as the University of Michigan-Dearborn and Western Michigan University, require a minimum 2.75 and 2.0 GPA, respectively, for admission. Contact an adviser for more information.

Questions? Contact Professor Charles Moreau at , Palenske 326.