Writing Competence Exam

Continuous development as a writer is a central part of a liberal arts education.  In order to graduate from Albion, all students must demonstrate college writing proficiency by fulfilling one of the following requirements:

  1. receive a 5 on the Advanced Placement Test in English Language and Composition;
  2. receive a 5 or higher on one of the International Baccalaureate High Level English tests
  3. complete English 101, College Writing, or English 101H, College Writing Honors, at Albion College with a 3.0 or above;
  4. transfer a writing course that is the equivalent of English 101 at Albion College with a grade of 3.0 or above;
  5. pass the Writing Competence Examination (see details below).

For more information, see the current Academic Catalog.

The Writing Competence Exam is offered multiple times during the year (see the schedule for exam dates and sign-up deadlines).

At the start of each semester, students who plan to take and pass the Writing Competence Examination (WCE) to fulfill their college writing proficiency requirement should review the WCE schedule and go to the online sign-up form for registration details. 

Upon reaching sophomore status, any student who has not yet fulfilled the writing proficiency requirement as indicated above will be automatically registered for and required to take the WCE during the year. 

Disability Accommodations: Please email your request to Scott Hendrix (), Director of Writing, at least five days prior to the next exam date.

Students who have completed 14 units or more, but who have not passed the WCE or otherwise fulfilled the writing proficiency requirement - or taken appropriate steps with the Director of Writing to prepare for this examination - will be required to register for subsequent semesters with the sophomore class.  

Transfer students who have completed 14 units or more (including transfer courses) should review the Writing Proficiency Requirements in the Academic Catalog to learn how WCE policies apply to their particular situation. 

Students planning to study off campus must pass the WCE or otherwise fulfill the writing proficiency requirement before the semester they will participate in their program (see Center for International Education for details). 

For additional information about the WCE, review the FAQ and other exam information.