Tax Filing as an International Student

VITA Tax Return Sign-Up (Coming Soon)

All F-1 and J-1 students who were in the U.S. between January 1 and December 31, and who are non-residents for tax purposes MUST file at least one U.S. tax form, even if you have not worked.   Taxes are calculated on the calendar year January 1 to December 31. You will need to file your previous year's taxes before April 15 of the current year.

Most Albion students have received some U.S. source income, including taxable scholarships, housing stipends, cash awards, or wages.  Albion College's Department of Economics and Management works with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to offer free, in-person tax preparation service.  

Common tax forms that you will need to bring to your meeting with the VITA volunteer.

W-2 If you received wages (any employment) in the United States during the previous year. Sent by your employer. Albion College uploaded W-2 forms to ACIS– “Employee Services > Tax Forms” in late January. Contact the Human Resources department if you have not received this form.
1042-S  If you received a taxable scholarship, award, or housing stipend from a college or university. Contact the Accounting Office if you are unsure whether or not you will receive this form from Albion College.
1099  If you had interest income from a bank or investment. Sent by your bank or investment company.  Have on-hand when preparing your taxes, although as an international student, the instructions may not require you to report this interest income. Follow instructions on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) forms.
1098-T Available to students who are treated as a US resident for tax purposes More information can be found in the Accounting Office.  WARNING: If you are a non-resident for tax purposes you are not eligible to receive the educational credits associated with the 1098-T form, even if the form was mailed to you.


In rare cases, an Albion student has not received U.S. Source Income (wages, taxable scholarships, housing stipends, cash awards).  If you were in the U.S. during the year and were a non-resident for tax purposes, you must complete and mail IRS Form 8843.  Form 8843 and instructions are found on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website.  If you would like guidance on this form, see the VITA volunteer or the Center for International Education.

IRS Scams

During tax season, there are several phone and email scams which target international students. These scams involve persons falsely representing themselves as a representative of the International Revenue Service (IRS), USCIS, or another government agency.  Here are some tips to protect yourself against scams:

  • File your tax return as early as possible.
  • Know the IRS will not contact you by email, text, phone, or social media.
  • Do not give out any personal information (ex. Social Security Number, bank account number, credit card information, etc.) over the phone or via email.
  • Shred paper copies of your tax returns and financial documents when no longer needed.
  • If you receive a suspicious phone call or email, do not respond until you verify with the appropriate people that it is true. Scams can be reported to Help Desk, Campus Safety, the Center for International Education, or the Human Resources Office.