Majors and Minors

Educational Studies Minor

This interdisciplinary minor is designed for students who have a broadly defined interest in the field of education (e.g., youth development and learning; sociocultural theory applied to schooling, families and youth; youth subcultures; comparative education; fine and dramatic arts pedagogies; public education policy; environmental education; pediatric health; recreation and athletics; museum or community-based education). The minor in educational studies can benefit students who are interested in making unique connections to their major area of study as well as students who are interested in exploring careers in education. Many graduate programs and career paths such as museum studies, public policy, counseling and sociology recognize the value of academic preparation in the field of education.

Students who participate in the educational studies minor are not required to be admitted into the Shurmur Center for Teacher Development/Teacher Education Program. The minor in educational studies is a generalized study of the field of education and does not lead to teacher certification. Students who complete teacher certification at Albion College are not eligible for the minor in educational studies.

Requirements for Minor

  • A minimum of five units of course work including one unit in foundations of education (Education 202), one unit in human development and learning theories (Psychology 251, 253, or Educational Psychology), completion of an internship or practicum (Education 203, 382 or 398) and a minimum of two and one-half units of electives constituting a curricular focus. A current list of sample elective courses is available in the Education Department and is also maintained on the department website at
  • Please note: Education 202 and 203 are accompanied by a field experience in the public schools and requires completion of (1) Albion College criminal history check form, (2) Internet Criminal History Access Tool search, and (3) Albion College educational/judicial records check.
  • Students must receive prior written consent from the Education Department to apply a directed study or course that is not from the recommended list toward completion of the educational studies minor. Requests should be sent directly to the chair of the Education Department.